On 1/22/06, Murali Vadivelu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> Aptitude does not seem to detect the binary packages I had built with
> fink, say, for installation. If it is the case then,
> 1. Why should we have aptitude in the packages or am I mistaken?
> I built a package with 'fink build package' and called 'aptitude

You have to run fink scanpackages for aptitude to know about new
binary packages.

> install package' (as I do in Debian). It did not work.

Some people possibly use mostly the binary distribution. Aptitude can
then be used much like in Debian.

> 2. Even otherwise, wouldn't it be nice to have that functionality in
> Fink itself. Would that be too much of a hassle?

It depends on the skills, time, and experience you put into it :)
For me running debfoster once in a while is good enough.

You would have to make fink mark the packages that were installed
automatically at the very least. You could then remove packages with
aptitude and have the dependencies removed automatically.

> I am not sure how good my skills are but I will try to have a look at
> the Fink source and try to contribute, if my abilities, time and
> experience allow, towards this direction.
Good luck :)

Thanks

Michal

--
             Support the freedom of music!
Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.