Jean-David Maillefer wrote:
I was trying to build lilypond (2.6.3-11) from source and it failed during compilation of depency pacakge ec-fonts-mftraced (1.0.12-2)

The error is the following: /bin/sh: /sw/bin/mftrace: /sw/bin/python2.3: bad interpreter: \
 No such file or directory
I have python installed, but it's the newer 2.4 version (1:2.4.2-4)

I don't know how packaging works, but it seems to me it would be better to check the version of python and then compile using /sw/bin/python rather than /sw/bin/python23, except if only python23 works.

How did you get mftrace installed? It has a dependency on python23, so you shouldn't have been able to install it unless you have python23 installed. Or did you force-remove python23 afterwards?

I used the following workaround to compile:
 $ ls -l /sw/bin/python
 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     admin          17 Jan 20 00:45 \
  /sw/bin/python -> /sw/bin/python2.4
 $ sudo ln -s /sw/bin/python /sw/bin/python2.3
 $ /sw/bin/fink install ec-fonts-mftraced
And everything  got fine.

Bad idea, as Alex said.

Q: Is this workaround OK, or can I expect some silly behaviour from ec-fonts-mftraced ?
Q: Should the package dependancies be updated ?

The package could probably even run with /usr/bin/python, but that's for the maintainer to decide. If you want it changed, you can try do persuade him.