Peter Dyballa wrote:
Hello!

This seems to be one of the last packages that still depend on freetype and not freetype2. On ttfmkfontdir depend msttcorefonts and xfonts-intl. Is there no way to 'port' ttfmkfontdir to freetype2 or freetype219?

This is really antique stuff, but since it seems to work, nobody has much desire to dive into this stinking mess of different incompatible versions of freetype, X11, and ghostscript. The "porting" of ttfmkfontdir would most likely consist of simply removing it. The mkfontscale/mkfontdir utilities in /usr/X11R6/bin on Panther or Tiger seem to do their job as well as or better than ttfmkfontdir.

For the msttcorefonts package, I am pretty confident that ttfmkfontdir can indeed be replaced. I am putting a new version into 10.{3,4*}/unstable, but I cannot test all possible versions of X11/xfree/xorg, so I'll wait for some user feedback before replacing the stable versions.

The xfonts-intl package uses additionally the type1inst script which is even more antique than ttfmkfontdir (a beta version from 1998!). It can probably be replaced by /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontscale, too, but there would have to be some testing of those intl fonts with various versions of X11 and of ghostscript.

The other packages that depend on freetype are: dvilib2, dvilib2-dev, spawg, spawx11, tex-guy, xgdvi, enlightenment, eterm, eterm-shlibs, vflib3, vflib3-bin, vflib3-dev, zphoto, zphoto-wxgtk, zphoto-wxmac