Claudio Ochoa wrote:
Hi, first of all I am a Fink novice user, trying to make a fink package for ciao (a open-source prolog). I am having the following problem: * when installing, some links to some executables are created (for example, a link ciao for the real executable ciao-1.10p6). * the problem is that this link points to the %i /sw/src/root-ciao-1.10p6 install directory * thus, when doing "fink install ciao", the link does not get updated to /sw/bin, which is the final installation dir.

How can I cope with this problem?

Many standard configure based projects recognize both --prefix and DESTDIR and know that DESTDIR is different from the runtime root directory. But many handcrafted installation procedures unfortunately pretend to have never heard of the idea of a package manager with its distinction between packaging root and installation root. If this is one of those, then for using it in Fink (or debian or redhat) you will have to handcraft an InstallScript or patch the Makefiles correspondingly. For the case of symlinks, though, if they use absolute pathnames for the source instead of relative pathnames, I would call this a bug anyway, and patching this in the Makefiles would be a proper bug fix.

What I mean is that you shouldn't create a symlink

/sw/bin/ciao -> /sw/bin/ciao-1.10p6

which gets deformed to

/sw/src/fink.build/root-ciao-1.10p6/sw/bin/ciao -> /sw/src/fink.build/root-ciao-1.10p6/sw/bin/ciao-1.10p6

in the install phase, but rather

/sw/bin/ciao -> ciao-1.10p6

The latter is relocatable without further ado.