Martin Costabel wrote:
Thomas Lauf wrote:
[]
Well, does that mean I am stuck on QT 7.0.3 now? Or can I upgrade - maybe later to 7.0.5?

I have no idea. You have to hope that Apple hasn't yet started to neglect OSX 10.3
[]
We should probably file bug reports with Apple about these problems, but since I rarely use 10.3 any more, I won't lose much time over it. If I find a small test case, I'll file a bug about the QuickTime problem, but it would be helpful if others did the same.

I have now found a small example and filed a bug on Apple's bugreporter (CCing devel for the record).

Anyone who is on Mac OSX 10.3.9 with QuickTime 7.0.4 installed and wants to see the bug for themselves can try to compile the following little program:

/* file QTbug.cc */
#include <QuickTime/QuickTime.h>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
        if ( EnterMovies() == noErr )
                std::cout << "QuickTime init successful" << std::endl;
        return 0;
}
/* end QTbug.cc */

The simplest compilation (which succeeds with QuickTime 7.0.3 installed, or on Tiger even with QuickTime 7.0.4) would use the command line

  g++ -o QTbug QTbug.cc -framework QuickTime

Apple simply compiled this version of the QuickTime framework on Tiger and hoped that it would work on Panther too, apparently without checking.