On 2/24/06, Chris Zubrzycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
> >     I noticed today when doing a 'fink selfupdate' and 'fink update-
> > all'
> > from the 10.4-transitional unstable cvs a problem with the python
> > packages.
> > I had both python23 and python24 installed on this machine so both
> > packages
> > were to be updated with new builds. Unfortunately, while python24 now
> > build conflicts with blt-dev, python23 still build depends on blt-dev.
> > This sets up a conflict preventing 'fink update-all' from working
> > properly.
> > Why have we forked the blt dependency on the two different pythons?
>
> Well, the 2 different pythons are, well, different. update one, then
> continue the update-all. My guess is python 2.3 needs something in
> blt-dev, and it breaks python 2.4.
>
> - -chris zubrzycki
> - - --
> PGP public key: http://homepage.mac.com/beren/publickey.txt
> ID: 0xA2ABC070
> Fingerprint: 26B0 BA6B A409 FA83 42B3  1688 FBF9 8232 A2AB C070
>
> "Sadly, text alone cannot convey the depths of my sarcasm."

blt-dev does indeed break python24.

The problem in this case really isn't with the python* packages--any
arbitrary pair of packages can have this problem.  The issue is that
when there's a buildconflict fink removes the offending package, as
one would expect, but puts it back after the very next package is
installed, whatever it is.  E.g.:

Packages A and C are eligible for update
Package A has a build conflict on B and depends on E
Package C has a build depend on D
Package E is not currently installed

On update-all, if fink happens to decide that A should be built first:

B is removed
D is installed
B is reinstalled
A fails.