On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:20:24PM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
>     I believe the BuildConflicts on blt-dev was added to python24
> by Daniel Macks to avoid it accidentally being linked into python24.
> The note at...
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/fink/dists/10.4-transitional/unstable/main/finkinfo/languages/python24.info?rev=1.8&view=markup
>
> ...indicates Daniel was unclear if he should do the same for python23.

The issue is that python autodetects blt-dev and links against blt if
it is present, but blt-dev was not a dependency nor were any flags
used to force it to be unused if present. That's a fundamental
packaging bug: either it must always be used (and hence a dependency)
or never be used (autodetection must fail).

blt has a lot of dependencies, its upstream looked pretty inactive,
and I couldn't find a reason to have it included, so I leaned towards
never using it. Email to python* maintainer went unanswered and
un-acted-upon, so I added blt-dev as a BuildConflicts to avoid having
it autodetected.

I did this to both python23 and python24. It's clear that maintainer
knew I was monkeying with python/blt at that point because I screwed
up the python23 fix and he repaired it.

So if we need python24 with blt, let's just add it (and rev-up
obviously) and check to see if we need to add it as a dependency of
things that link to python24.

dan

--
Daniel Macks