Adrian Mugnolo wrote:
Hi,

I have the following setting in my fink.conf file:

Trees: local/main stable/main stable/crypto
unstable/main

I am working on a package project that I keep updating
to the "local" tree.  Two other packages with the same
name exist under both "stable" and "unstable" trees.

Which is the proper way to tell fink(8) which tree it
should work on?  Or which is the search order for
directories listed under the "Trees" configuration
directive?

In very old versions of fink, the search order used to be from left to right in the Trees line (or so the documentation said). Nowadays it seems to be from right to left. This is, of course, not reasonable, given that local/main is by default still the first item on that line but should be searched first.

In reality you should not depend on that search order. It is not only at build time where this can lead to confusion. Also at install time, if you built packages with identical version-revision in two different trees, you have to pray that dpkg finds the right one of the deb files with identical names.

The better solution is to increase the revision for the info file in your local tree: If you have foo-1.2-3 in unstable, make it foo-1.2-3.0 or similar in local. This has the advantage that once the revision in unstable is increased to foo-1.2-4, it will supersede the one in local, which is often what you want.