I've been working on updating my CCP4 package for gfortran in collaboration with the ccp4 developers since late last November. It is not always simple, and there are still programs that appear to compile fine but suffer run-time errors (in fact, I am seeing more of these now than with the svn 4.1-prerelease I made on December 3rd, although other problems have improved).

I'm reluctant to ditch g77 until I can get these problems sorted, since without these programs working properly I will starve to death and have to put my children in an orphanage.

Hi:  Since gcc4-4.1 is now in 10.4 and 10.4-transitional unstable, the
transition from g77 to gfortran can begin.  AFAICT, there are 3 things
that need to be changed in most packages that depend on g77:

1) remove the 'Architecture:  powerpc' field.
2) change 'BuildDepends: g77' to 'BuildDepends: gcc4 (>= 2:4.1.0-1)
3) add '--with-f77=gfortran' or equivalent to ConfigureParams.

In addition, if the package links fortran code to c++ code, you'll need
to make sure it uses g++-4.0.  In the 10.4 tree this is done
automatically, but in 10.4-transitional I think this requires adding

SetCXX: g++-4.0

So far, I've only updated octave (and octave-forge) to use gfortran, but
I'll be slogging through my own packages one by one.

-Jeff

P.S. Corey - could you try out octave-forge to make sure I didn't botch
it up?