On 10.3 with unstable enabled and with no "python" package installed,
using fink CVS HEAD:

  $ fink build cdat
  unable to resolve version conflict on multiple dependencies
           python >= 1:2.4-1
           python <= 2.5-1
  Exiting with failure.

The offending dependency is: python (>= 1:2.4-1) | python (<= 2.5-1)
however I do have many seemingly-sufficient phyton available:

  $ fink dumpinfo -fallversions python
          2.1.3-38
          2.1.3-41
          2.2.3-26
          1:2.3.5-4
   b      1:2.3.5-14
          1:2.4.1-2
   b      1:2.4.2-4

and if I install python-1:2.4.2-4, cdat can be built.

So two questions:

1. Why does the dependency engine accept 1:2.4.2-4 (and presumably
others) if they are installed but can't figure out to install them?

2. What is the goal of that dependency? Even if it were to work for
me, it seems pretty useless--*any* python except for epoch:1 of
versions before 2.4 would satisfy it, including python 2.1. But the
cdat package is heavily customized for python24. Why can't it be
*fully* customized for python24 and not care at all what "python" (if
any) is present?

dan

--
Daniel Macks