Alexander Strange wrote:
[]
fontconfig2-dev was using freetype219 and depending on freetype1 instead.
This should be added there, but I noticed a better solution: if I just have fontconfig use the system (xorg)'s freetype, then gimp stops crashing every time anyone uses the text tool. This is obviously how it should be acting, but I don't know if it compiles in Apple X11 now.

I've put this modified gimp2 and fontconfig2-dev in my experimental; could someone with Apple's X11 try it?

If you do this to fontconfig2-dev, you will break a whole bunch of other packages that now all (build-)depend on fontconfig2-dev and freetype219. Maybe we need two versions of fontconfig2-dev in the end, but right now it would be easier if you made gimp2 consistently depend on freetype219, including for example changing the pango1-xft2-dev dependency to pango1-xft2-ft219-dev.

Since version 2.2.3-11, fontconfig2-dev has actually been using freetype219 correctly.