On 10.4/unstable with fink HEAD, trying to install some package that requires Fink bison, the latter fails after downloading with the following message:

 The checksum of the file is incorrect. The most likely
 cause for this  is a corrupted or incomplete download
 Expected: b236923e7d4909c6fd8873ac87431833fa45069b
 Actual: MD5(b1468d49c1357aebcd1de6ef12cbf3e8)
        SHA1(b236923e7d4909c6fd8873ac87431833fa45069b)
 Downloading the file "bison-2.1.tar.gz" failed.

Note that the actual and expected checksums are identical.

If I hit "Give up" and then run "fink build bison", it happily uses the just downloaded tarball. Also if I run "fink fetch bison", it says:

 The file "bison-2.1.tar.gz" already exists and its checksum matches.

So it seems that the checksum check is interpreted differently in different situations.

With fink-0.24.14, the problem does not appear.