On 2006-09-19, C.Alexander Leigh wrote:
> darcs-1.0.1-4 installed cleanly on the following system;

  According to:
  http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/darcs

  that package is not the latest for any supported distribution.
  Have you selfupdated recently?

> Darwin chrome.int8.ashpool.com 8.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.0: Fri
> May 26 15:20:53 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.6.76.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
> Macintosh powerpc

  Which OS version is this?  I cannot recall the kernel to OS version mapping.

> However darcs 1.0.1 is pretty old; 1.0.8 also complied cleanly from
> the source distribution, it would be nice to see the fink package
> updated to this version (which some people are requiring) but I don't
> know how to do it.

  Well, 1.0.8 is available for Mac OS X 10.4 running on powerpc.
  There are some nontrivial issues getting newer version of ghc to build under
10.3.  The version of darcs available for OS 10.3 is the newest version that
fink's ghc can compile.
  There are also some nontrivial issues getting -any- version of ghc to build
on intel machines.  So there's no darcs available there yet.

  Unfortunately, we don't have a "system-ghc" package.  So there's no way to
detect a non-fink ghc installation and use that to build darcs.

crh