David Reiser wrote:
> The wiki mentions using c++filt3 to investigate the need for a GCC
> field in info files. XCode 2.4 is shipped with c++filt version 2.16.
> Do I need to go looking for another source for the utility?

c++filt3 is the one that came with gcc-3.1. If you have the legacy
compiler packages installed, you will have it. It used to be the case
that c++filt3 understood more dialects of C++ name mangling than the
more recent c++filt, so it was needed to correctly unmangle and
interpret some variables.

But I think this is not the case any more, so there is no need for
c++filt3 any more. For c++filt, however, one might need to use one of
the "-n" or "-_" flags in order to recognize older C++ variable names.
You could also just look for " __Z" in the symbol table. That's a rather
sure sign for C++ code, too.