On 11/10/06, Paul Mitchum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2006, at 4:49 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:27:08 -0800
> > From: "Lars Rosengreen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > On 11/10/06, Paul Mitchum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Or, perhaps *move packages into the stable tree on occassion.*
> >
> > A lot of maintainers wait for some positive feedback from users before
> > moving a package into stable.  If you use a package and think it is
> > ready
> > for stable, please let the maintainer know.
>
> Well, see, this is exactly the can of worms I was hoping to open. :-)
>
> Why should users get to determine which packages are 'stable' and
> which aren't? If the threshold between stable and unstable is that
> users are OK with it, then it seems that packages without outstanding
> bug reports could be automatically moved to stable after, say, six
> months or something. That would make the process both more
> transparent and predictable, and also less of a headache to
> maintainers. Even if it weren't set up to be automatic, there might
> be a twice-yearly Race To The Stable Day, where maintainers could
> race to make their packages stable by clearing bugs from the tracker.

The main reason for needing user feedback is because sometimes people
maintain packages that they don't use themselves.  Lack of bug reports
could mean that a package hasn't been installed by anybody, and in
such a case it could be broken without anybody's knowledge.

I'd put the onus for a call to stabilze the package on the maintainer:
 they should send a message to the lists asking for somebody (else) to
install the package and try it out.

(As a side note, using the bug tracker to report package bugs isn't
usually the best option, because there's nothing that sends a message
to the package maintainer automatically so that they even know a bug
report has been filed.  Typically results are better when they're
contacted directly)

> But whether that's the solution or not: I think fink would really do
> well to adopt a very clear policy on when and how packages should
> move to stable. More packages would end up as stable if a clear
> policy were in place.
>
> I say this having searched for such a policy and being unable to find
> one. If it already exists, then I'd be glad to see it.

There isn't one, apart from the necessary conditions that I mentioned
earlier in this thread--it has been left up to the individual
maintainers to decide when/if their packages are ready.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documenter (still)