On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:55:31PM +0000, Murali Vadivelu wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I am a maintainer for a programme, CcpNmr, which installs minor
> updates, like Webmin, to its point release through the user
> interface. Hence, when an upgrade is made, from one point release to
> another, dpkg does not remove the directory. To clear it up, I have a
> PostRmScript.
>
> The annoying thing about the the functioning of the script is that it
> gets executed after dpkg replaces the old programme by the new one,
> after an 'update ccpnmr-xx-xx' comand or 'update-all' command. This
> leaves the user with no installation of the programme! The only way
> to make it work is to first remove the old version and the freshly
> install the new version.
>
> Is this a dpkg bug, and if it is can a shotgun fix be added to fink
> to execute fink remove and fink install, sequentially, instead of
> whatever is happening now in the direct (overwrite?) upgrade that is
> happening now.

The "official" word on what dpkg should be doing regarding when and
how each of the {Pre,Post}{Inst,Rm} scripts is explained here:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html

Perhaps you want this as a PreRm not PostRm, so that it happens before
the old package gets rm'ed?

dan

--
Daniel Macks