On 12/8/06, Dean Scarff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alexander wrote:
> > Since emacs-carbon is a maintained package, did you try contacting the
> > listed maintainer?  The general rule of thumb is that we don't tread
> > on the toes of listed maintainers by updating their packages without
> > consent.
>
> This was my attempt to contact the maintainer.  I didn't read anything
> that said contact should be made off-list.  I don't expect someone
> other than the maintainer to update the package.  I specifically
> separated namespaces and filenames to avoid subversion of the official
> packaging.
>
> There is no individual contact given for the maintainer (it's just
> listed as a "team"), so I thought the list would be an appropriate
> place.  I assume the maintainer(s) are subscribed and read the list.
> The packaging is also of interest to the public until the official
> package is updated, and it wouldn't be available if it was just
> sitting in someone's inbox.

Never assume that maintainers actually read the mailing lists.  :-(
-devel is better than -users or especially -beginners, but we usually
cc the maintainers as well.

> > Also: why didn't you use the package submission tracker (and then
> > email a link to the tracker item)?  It's not ideal, but we are
> > working on making the process there more expedient.
>
> It's not an ITP (there's an existing package), so I didn't think it
> would be appropriate to list as a new package.  The link on the fink
> homepage is to "Submit a new Fink package".  Neither is it a bug or
> feature request for the fink core.  Also, the sourceforge trackers are
> horrible.
>
> There were no guidelines that I saw on the fink homepage that
> suggested the most appropriate place for an upgrade request should be
> anywhere other than this list.  In debian the correct procedure is to
> submit a wishlist bug, and I suspect it's frowned upon, but then the
> debian maintainers aren't so tardy.  The latest upstream snapshot is
> from the 1st November, and the fink package hasn't been updated since
> March.
>
> If it was bad form to post the attachments to the list I'll host them
> and link them next time.
>
> --
> Dean

The informal policy (which probably should get codified) is to contact
the maintainer about a new version--and inclusion of the .info and
.patch files is appropriate.  ( I just get annoyed when people do it
for their own packages because it's yet harder for me to deal with
evaluating package information files saved in email messages than to
grab them from the tracker :-) )

That being said, it's possible that the maintainer might not respond
immediately.  Give them some reasonable amount of time, and if you
don't get a response follow up here--if people have tried the package
then that'll move things along toward making the update in Fink.
--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documenter (still)