On 12/28/06, Jonas Steverud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>   new list member here but old user of Fink. I have really
> appreciated your work over the years and Fink is one of the reasons I
> have not looked back towards Debian since I left it in '01, I also
> usually encourage my friends that buy Macs to check out Fink (they
> are usually of the Linux persuasion).
>
> Now to my project, so to speak: I have a problem with my Gnome setup
> (see my post on the User list for further info) and decided that I
> need to build a system-firefox package and/or a generic webbrowser
> package that installs a binary that opens whichever url it is fed in
> the system's default webbrowser (Safari, Omniweb, ....). Both of
> these will Provide Firefox, so I can satisfy a dependancy for Gnome
> (I don't want two Firefoxes on my system, one installed as an .app
> and one installed and built using Fink).
>
> I would also like to create a bogus xscreensaver package so I can get
> rid of the damn screen saver (again, please see my post to the user
> list for reference).
>
> So, my problem is that I have never build a package for Fink before
> and I have read the tutorials at the website. Problem, as I see it,
> is that it assumes that the program has never been packaged before
> and I was planning to port the equivs package to Fink and assumed
> that there would be a faster way of porting a program that already is
> a package.
>
> My questions is simply if there is a short-cut if I want to port an
> existing Debian package? Google could not find any answers for my
> questions...
>
> Is equivs the right choice for my problem (the system-xxx packages
> mentioned above) or should it be done in some other way?
>
> (Any suggestions on how to implement the generic web browser is also
> welcome, my idea was to write a Cocoa CLI program that invokes
>         [[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] openURL:[NSURL URLWithString:@"any
> command line argument after a bit of sanity checking"]];
> All ideas are welcome, but the idea is to keep it simple.)
>
> Thanks,
>   Jonas

Whether a package exists in Debian or not is mostly irrelevant to
making a Fink package for it.  Thus, the packaging documentation is
still relevant for an existing package.

If you're just doing it for yourself, your browser package could be
something that wraps around the "open" command, too.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
(akh)