On 1/9/07, Peter Portante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sure, I'll give it a shot. Where is the xemacs package description
> maintained? How do I get a copy of it and modify it and submit a change? Who
> will review the changes I make to ensure that I am doing this correctly, and
> not just computing pi to 30,000 digits?
>
> Now, becoming the maintainer would only occur if I am successful, right? :)
>
> Thanks Alexander,
>
> -peter

(Check the link to the packaging tutorial if you need additional
information, as well)

The file is on your system, so getting it is no problem--use the
version in the unstable tree:
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/editors/xemacs.info

To modify it--we recommend editing a local copy, so try the following

mkdir -p /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo
cp /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/editors/xemacs.info\
 /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo

(you may need to use "sudo" in front of the above two commands,
deepending on how the permissions of local are set.)

Then edit the copy that lives in the local tree.  You should use your
favorite text editor, possibly as root, e.g. "sudo xemacs
/sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo/xemacs.info"

Also, check that the Trees: line in /sw/etc/fink.conf has local/main
as one of its entries--if not then you'll need to add it.  Running
"fink index ; fink scanpackages" should ensure that Fink is now
looking at your version, and you can just use the normal commands to
build it.

To submit it, (after it runs for you) go to
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=17203&atid=414256 .

You'll need to get a Sourceforge ID if you don't have one
already--make sure that it's on an account that you actually check on
occasion because the tracker will send you email about the item.

One of the developers (probably me) will review it.

By the way, it should be pretty simple--I did a quick stab at it, and
the following changes were sufficient to get it to build:

Version: 21.4.20
Revision: 1001
Epoch: 1
Source: mirror:custom:stable/%n-%v.tar.bz2
Source-MD5: b0c98bb6f2d7818f4183f8c8e9afb867

The Revision could be something else, but we like some separation
between 10.3 and 10.4.  (11 or 101 are fine, too)

It seemed to build and run, but you know what fixes you're looking for
(and I've got an adequate load on my plate).

Give it a try, and check back here if you have any questions--we like
maintainers to submit a _working_ package to the tracker.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
(akh)