Jack,

Putting a line in your .info file which says

Type: -64bit

should allow you to use the %lib expansion for precisely the purpose
that you want.  Notice that this type declaration does not need to
have any other effect on the package: it won't affect the name or
anything else.

Is there some other problem with this procedure which I am not seeing?

(As an alternative, one can create separate .info files for the
powerpc and i386 architectures, which differ only in the appropriate
Shlibs line.)

   -- Dave