>     So if I understand all of the comments so far, the problem may
> be avoidable with an older tar but even that produces warnings in
> fink. If the hypothesis of Spotlight indexing blocking files
> is correct, perhaps the answer is for the fink developers to add
> code to fink that stops and starts the Spotlight indexing before
> and after a fink install. I'm sure there must be system calls to
> do that sort of thing.

Hi,
        I guess I forgot to mention that the successful build+packaging
(gcc42) on my G4 has fink installed on a partition with Spotlight
disabled.  The Intel Mac on which packaging failed with tar-1.16.1-1 did
NOT have Spotlight disabled in the fink /sw tree.  Most curious...
        Perhaps something about Spotlight disabling could be added to the
FAQ?  It makes a somewhat noticeable improvement on slow machines.  I'd
recommend disabling for at least the src/fink.build directories.

> ps One other think I have run into when doing test installs of
> the current gcc4 and gcc42 (to toggle back and forth between
> the default compiler) is that the lockwait for fink can be
> exceeded if you are doing something else at the same time
> (like an svn pull). The lockwait is one other weak point in
> fink for large packages.

Fang