Could those of you who have or had the dpkg-deb failure caused by
tar-1.16.1 claiming

   "file changed as we read it"

please help with debugging this? Based on the outcome of these tests, we
should be able to decide whether we need to patch tar or dpkg, or
whether we need to dig further down.

I have made a special version of the tar executable that prints some
more information if this error appears. It prints the old/new ctimes and
the old/new file sizes. The special version is a universal binary (so it
should work on both ppc and intel) and is available at
http://perso.orange.fr/costabel/tar.gz

A possible test procedure to follow would be:

1. Download the new tar:

   curl -O http://perso.orange.fr/costabel/tar.gz
   gunzip tar.gz
   chmod +x tar
   mv tar /var/tmp/

2. Replace (temporarily) Fink's tar by the new one

   sudo ln -sf /var/tmp/tar /sw/bin/tar

3. Build one of the packages that give you the tar error (mysql, gcc42,
gnumeric were among those where the error was reported). Cross your
fingers that the error will happen again ;-)

4. Report to the list the part of the error message that is printed
after the "file changed as we read it" line.

5. Put Fink's tar back to where it was before

   sudo ln -sf gtar /sw/bin/tar

Thanks