On Apr 3, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Daniel Macks wrote:

> 10.3/unstable, trying to install latest mysql (5.0.38-1) with the
> previous version of that package (5.0.34-6) installed, I got:
>
> Setting up mysql (5.0.38-1) ...
> Installing MySQL system tables...
> 070403 12:42:22 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because
> file system for /sw/var/mysql/ is case insensitive
> ERROR: 1136  Column count doesn't match value count at row 1
> 070403 12:42:23 [ERROR] Aborting
>
> 070403 12:42:23 [Note] /sw/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete
>
> Installation of system tables failed!
>
> Looking at the PostInst, I see it's doing:
>
>  # create initial database
>  # it is safe to call mysql_install_db even if a db is already present
>  /sw/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
>
> Digging into that script, apparently it doesn't realize I already have
> a mysql database installed, so it tries to set up a new one, which is
> different from the old. Got a lot of errors from the mysql_upgrade
> script that mysql_install_db, so gave up and started over:
>
>   rm -rf /sw/var/mysql
>   dpkg --r mysql
>   fink install mysql
>
> That worked. For fun, I tried 'fink reinstall mysql', which gives:
>
> Installing MySQL system tables...
> 070404  1:08:10 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because
> file system for /sw/var/mysql/ is case insensitive
> ERROR: 1062  Duplicate entry '%-test-' for key 1
> 070404  1:08:10 [ERROR] Aborting
>
> So it's reproducibly impossible to install mysql without throwing away
> my old intallation entirely? That's bad.

        Hmm, this is very different behavior from the binary available at
[ http://www.mysql.org/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#macosx-dmg ].  That
version builds a new directory for each version of mysql, then
creates a link to whichever was installed most recently.  This
probably requires more attention managing it than a script based
solution such as fink provides [or else it tends to fill up hard
disks].  The net result, however, is still the same: before the
upgrade, you should backup or export your data.  After setting up the
new mysql, it is expected that you'll import your old data into the
new base.  Nevertheless, it does appear as though you've encountered
a bug.

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

Philosophical error:  Demonstrate the existence of a key to continue