On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:27:10PM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:
> Alexander K. Hansen wrote:
> > William Scott wrote:
> >> I'm getting this one one machine, whereas the identical (presumably)
> >> packages coexist on my others peacefully:
> >>
> >> Unpacking replacement tetex ...
> >> Unpacking tetex-base (from .../tetex-base_3.0-1002_darwin-i386.deb) ...
> >> Removing any leftover files from obsolete teTeX installations ...
> >> /sw/bin/dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-
> >> darwin-i386/text/tetex-base_3.0-1002_darwin-i386.deb (--install):
> >> trying to overwrite `/sw/share/texmf-local', which is also in package
> >> gnuplot
> []
> >>
> > It appears that order matters here.  If you install tetex-base first, it
> > installs an empty %p/share/texmf-local directory, which gnuplot will
> > happily drop its files in.  On the other hand, if gnuplot is already
> > installed dpkg doesn't want to drop an empty %p/share/texmf-local on top
> > of that installed by gnuplot.
> >
> > I'd guess that gnuplot needs a Depends: tetex-base rather than just a
> > BuildDepends to resolve this.
>
> I think it's a bug in the gnuplot package. It should install its
> gnuplot.cfg file into /sw/etc/texmf.local instead of
> /sw/share/texmf-local. A line like in the jadetex InstallScript
>
>   mv %i/share/texmf-local %i/etc/texmf.local
>
> would do the trick.

I don't have these specific packages handy, but the same type of
problem can occur when a 'make install' doesn't create a directory
before copying a file "into it":

  install foo %i/share/foo-dir

instead of

  mkdir %i/share/foo-dir
  install foo %i/share/foo-dir

gives a *file* %i/share/foo-dir, leads to install-time breakage if
there already is a foo-dir directory from an existing or
previously-installed package.

dan

--
Daniel Macks