Building the new coreutils fails on two of my machines in the test phase:

PASS: printf-hex
pwd-long: at depth 29: No space left on device
FAIL: pwd-long

The error message is bogus: Both machines have several GB free on the
partition. Also the inode usage is at less than 60%.

I can repeat the failure with the following extract from the test
program. This perl script creates nested subdirectories (256 deep with
31 char dir names). On two other machines (one ppc and one intel) where
I tried this, there was no problem - except for getting rid of the
directory afterwards ;-)

On the two machines where I see the failure, I get

% ./pwd-long-fail
mkdir: at depth 30: No space left on device

Here is the "pwd-long-fail" script if anyone wants to try:

------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl
my $z = 'z' x 31;
my $n = 256;
my $i = 0;
do
   {
     mkdir $z, 0700
       or die "mkdir: at depth $i: $!\n";
     chdir $z;
   }
until (++$i == $n);

Has anyone seen such a failure before? Or should I file a bug with Apple?