On Jul 28, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 7/27/07, Andrew Henrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> To whom it may concern:
>>

>> pstoedit it broken with respect to the latest gs interpreter
>> (ghostscript=8.57-1) under the unstable branch on fink.
>>

>> This is kind of silly, since I think it works fine with 8.54 which
>> is in the
>> stable branch.  So basically, there is a package in unstable
>> (pstoedit)
>> which only works with the stable gs.  Please put pstoedit in
>> stable where it
>> belongs.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew Henrick
>>

>> --
>>
>> Package manager version: 0.27.6
>>
>> Distribution version: 0.8.1.rsync i386
>>
>> Mac OS X version: 10.4.10
>>
>> Xcode version: 2.4
>>
>> gcc version: 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363)
>>
>> make version: 3.80
>>
>> Feedback Courtesy of FinkCommander
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Henrick
>>
>> Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that
>> his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father,
>> having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
>> Jn 13.1
>>

> gs-8.57 was added to fink unstable quite recently, so any "silliness"
> is also quite recent.  Moreover, if a package doesn't currently have
> an individual maintainer, we rely on positive feedback from users to
> have it moved to stable.
>
> How about some more substantive feedback on the breakage vs. 8.57
> before we move it?  "Is broken" can mean a lot of different things.
> For example, did you have pstoedit installed, and then update
> ghostscript?  If that's the case then it may be that pstoedit needs to
> be rebuilt against the new ghostscript to function properly.
>
> Since pstoedit would be in both stable and unstable, it needs to
> work in both.
>
> --
> Alexander K. Hansen
> akh AT finkproject DOT org
> Fink User Liaison and Documenter

Not knowing what the problem is, I experimented a little and can
confirm that there is a problem using pstoedit on some files. If this
can't be fixed in pstoedit, maybe one could make pstoedit in the
unstable tree depend on ghostscript-esp for now. For my own test case
(an eps file with text and graphics), pstoedit worked fine when
ghostscript-esp (version 7.07) was installed instead of ghostscript
8-57.

With  ghostscript 8-57 installed, the pstoedit hangs and has to be
killed manually, leading to the following output:

"""
pstoedit -f fig angularmomentum.eps angularmomentum.fig
pstoedit: version 3.44 / DLL interface 108 (build Jul 28 2007 -
release build - g++ 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)) :
Copyright (C) 1993 - 2006 Wolfgang Glunz
^CPostScript/PDF Interpreter finished. Return status 2 executed
command : /sw/bin/gs -q -dDELAYBIND -dWRITESYSTEMDICT -dNODISPLAY -
dNOEPS /Users/noeckel/psinIo8P7x
The interpreter seems to have failed, cannot proceed !
"""

There will soon be a new version of ghostscript (version 8), and it
remains to be seen if pstoedit will work with that. I haven't looked
into the actual reason for the problem with pstoedit and gs. Clearly,
to make progress it would help to know if your original error
reported above is similar to mine.

In my case, the problem was quite easy to fix even with ghostscript
8.57 installed: the original file angularmomentum.eps just needed to
be processed with the following command:

  gs -sDEVICE=epswrite -sOutputFile=angularmomentum2.eps -q -dBATCH -
dNOPAUSE angularmomentum.eps -c quit

This created an eps file (angularmomentum2.eps) that worked fine with
pstoedit. I'm not sure what the culprit is: the original file had a
higher postscript version that the new file (new: %!PS-Adobe-3.0
EPSF-3.0 versus old: %!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0), but there could be
many other things.  Anyway, this seems to suggest that it's not
ghostscript that chokes in my test case, and instead something is
wrong in pstoedit.

Maybe this helps provide some data points toward a fix.
Jens