Does the Fink command-line tool provide any hooks for querying what
category a package belongs to? Right now the only way I can get at this
information is to iterate through "fink list --section=foo", parse the
output from each section, and then merge everything into a large
list/array. Iterating through "fink list" so many times (22 by my count,
for all sections of Fink packages) is very slow, and also causes Perl to
consume up to 99% of CPU time for each iteration. If there is a more
efficient approach than I have outlined here, for instance through some
command-line switch that could add a "section" column to the output of
"fink list", that would be optimal.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin