Dear Fink developers,

Following a suggestion from Rohan Lloyd, I am working on a system-
emacs package for fink, which would allow the use of fink-installed
emacs extensions with /usr/bin/emacs .

On Oct 15, 2007, at 1:06 AM, Rohan Lloyd wrote:

> how is /usr/bin/emacs going to use fink installed emacs packages?
> The proper way of handling emacs packages is that the package
> installed .el files into
>
>   /sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/<package>
>
> This directory is NOT in the emacs library path.
>
> And then when an emacs flavour is installed, emacsen-common calls
> emacs-package-install which takes care of byte compiling for the
> specific emacs flavour installed and placing .elc files in:
>
>   /sw/share/<flavour>/site-lisp/<package>
>
> Each flavour of emacs loads /sw/share/<flavour>/site-lisp/
> subdirs.el which automatically includes all subdirs in the load
> path, so the byte compiled files are loaded.
>
> If no fink emacs package is installed, then there will be no byte
> compiled files. The user could set up their emacs library path to
> include /sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/<package> but they will not get
> the benefit of byte compiled files, and anything else that the
> package install script sets up.
>
> Would it be possible to create an emacs-system package that did
> something like:
>
>   * call emacsen-common/emacs-package-install in PostInstScript
>   * call emacsen-common/emacs-package-remove in PreRmScript
>   * install a shell script in /sw/bin/emacs that calls /usr/bin/
> emacs with -L option set to use find fink installed packages eg:
>
>   /usr/bin/emacs -L /sw/share/emacs-system/site-lisp $*

My experimental version of the package for 10.4 is at http://
fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/fink/experimental/dmrrsn/system-
emacs-10.4.info?view=log .

The problem I am having is this: in, for example, the emacs22
package, we patch startup.el to make sure that certain fink-specific
things are done at startup.  Can anybody think of a way to do this
with system-emacs, *without* modifying anything in /usr/share/emacs?
Is there another command-line switch which might be of use?

Feedback on any aspect of this project would be welcome.

    Best regards,
    Dave