I tried to compile php-5.3 from sources (I regullary did it on tiger)
and had several unexpected results. I wonder if these were ever
documented

1) iconv_open and iconv_close are "private" on leopard, while public
functions are libiconv_open and libiconv_close
2) leopard's libtool (gcc?) sometimes creates "something.dSYM" bundle
istead of "something" binary which makes autoconf sad (see:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=c8y&q=+site:spteam-lists.blogspot.com+conftest.dSYM+autoconf+leopard)
3) the resulting binary of php was "php.dSYM" (no bundle this time,
just binary with suffix)