Benjamin,
   That sounds great, but we should still provide a way for
an info file to force gcc-4.0 and g++-4.0 to be used
even in the presence of gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2. It would also
be nice to provide a fink.conf option to do the same
globally. That should prevent anyone from complaining about
being forced to use Apple's GCC 4.2.
              Jack