Charles Lepple wrote:
[]
>> I think the circular dependency comes from the fact that svn-swig-py24
>> depends not directly on svn-swig-py24-shlibs, but indirectly via the
>> virtual package svn-swig-py-shlibs that is provided by
>> svn-swig-py24-shlibs.
>
> This could probably be fixed with the variant syntax, right?

I am not sure if there is an easy and reasonable way out. I would assume
that chris01 has thought about this problem and found the present
solution which is not ideal, but perhaps better than the alternatives.

The problem is that there are several pyXY variants that should be able
to coexist. The actual python modules depend on the python version and
are installed in /sw/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/, so they don't
conflict. Some of their files are linked with a dylib from the -shlibs
package, and this dylib does not depend on the python version, so it is
simply installed in /sw/lib. This means that in reality the contents of
all the different svn-swig-pyXY-shlibs packages are identical and it is
unimportant which one is actually installed. It would be impossible to
depend on a particular one of them, because this would make them
mutually incompatible. So they all provide the same virtual package
svn-swig-py-shlibs on which other packages, in particular svn-swig-pyXY,
can depend.

At least this is the theory. Whether the various python versions are
sufficiently compatible to really have completely identical
libsvn_swig_py-1.0.dylibs is another question.