On 6-Jan-08, at 12:22 , Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:

> Kevin Horton wrote:

>>> The "coreutils" package installs all the coreutils commands but with
>>> slightly different names precisely for this reason (I think they are
>>> all prefixed with a 'g'). The only thing that "coreutils-default"
>>> does
>>> is make the coreutils programs the *default* ones in your shell.
>>

>> But, if install coreutils, that does not provide sha1sum.  If I want
>> sha1sum, I need to install textutils, and that depends on the
>> coreutils-default package.
>
> About a year and a half ago, the old gnu utils all got merged into
> coreutils, including sha1sum.  Textutils is now an empty splitoff of
> coreutils, so you really want to install just coreutils.  This is
> probably a bug in the Depends: of {shell,text,file}utils splitoffs
> that
> they Depends: on coreutils-default, though I guess it's there for
> backwards compatability for people with the old utils packages that
> expect them to be in certain paths.

The light bulb just went on here, helped by a study of a coreutils
build log.  Coreutils does provide gsha1sum.  I was looking for
sha1sum, but that symlink is only in coreutils-default.  I'll create
my own symlink in ~/bin, which should satisfy the program looking for
sha1sum, without requiring coreutils-default.

Thanks for your patience.
--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada