Look for where the bad .la file gets created. There's probably a
libtool command in the build output that does "-o libstdc++.la". Look
at that libtool command and the compiler command after it, see if they
have any -L flags that point to the build dir (either absolute
-L/sw/src/whatever or relative -L./whatever). One should only pass -L
flags for system and dependent libraries, not for things that are part
of the thing you are building.

If the libtool command has them, then there's a bug in the Makefile
(okay, the Makefile.in template, or its Makefile.am template,
depending on how the package is written), or more rarely in the
./configure script that sets some flags in the Makefile. If the
libtool command does not but the compiler command does, then it's the
bug in libtool.

dan

--
Daniel Macks