Benjamin Reed wrote:
[]
> I'm sure everyone would be happy to have simple universal binary support
> in Fink

Not me. I don't have any machine that needs universal binaries, I have
only ppcs and intels. As a user, I don't want to spend twice the
compilation time for every package and use twice the disk space for the
executables and libraries.

In my opinion, universal binaries are an invention for distributors of
precompiled binaries, not for users. As for the distribution of
precompiled binaries, Fink has, in principle, the tools for providing
the same (or more, because of smaller downloads) comfort as what is
achieved by universal binaries, namely separate binaries for ppc and
intel, with automagic choice of the right architecture at download time.
The only problem is that there is no central Fink bindist any more...