For those with time and interest, please try the files in my
experimental directory:

sip-py (4.7.4) nearly a copy of dmacks recent efforts, but upstream
revved up a week ago, and I removed the qt deps because upstream
claims sip 'knows about' both qt3 and qt4, but requires neither.
Therefore, we should only need one version of sip-py for both qt3 and
qt4 apps.

pyqt-py (3.17.4) works with qt3 and gcc4.

pyqt4-py (4.3.3) works with qt4.

It looks to me like pyqt and pyqt4 should be able to coexist. But the -
bin splitoffs within each family do conflict across python versions.

I have tried the existing dependent apps (treeline, flyway,
convertall, and kodos) and they all work with the new versions of
pyqt. It looks like there might be a slight dependency declaration
glitch in kodos (dep on sip-py24-bin instead of sip-py24, or should be
builddep instead), but I'm not sure.

I haven't dealt with the convenience packages yet because I keep
seeing them as an impediment to progress for someone maintaining 2
versions of python while developing. Maybe I'm just confused.

Feel free to comment on style deficiencies as well as outright errors.
I'm still learning about packaging. Also feel free to commit them if
they're good enough. I'll get to it next weekend unless someone
uncovers things needing fixing.

Dave
--
David Reiser