Jack Howarth wrote:
>    The info files for melina, pgplot and r-base
> all contain incorrect Depends for gcc42. These packages

I can only speak for melina, but I can tell you that the Depends is not
"incorrect". Melina needs a fortran compiler at runtime, and it needs
the same one it was built with. There are good reasons why compilers are
not "BuildDependsOnly: true".

> should be using a BuildDepends instead and only a
> Depends for gcc42-shlibs. There is no reason to Depends
> on gcc42 unless the package will directly call the gcc42
> compilers. This should be fixed so that users can install
> gcc43 with deinstalling these programs. The best course
> of action though would be to migrate all packages to
> gcc43 and obsolete the gcc42 package in unstable.
> I don't see a clean mechanism (or clear reason) to
> support both gcc42 and gcc43. Specifically, packages
> with libraries built with gcc42 or gcc43 would require
> variants (which are pointless since code generation in
> gcc43 is much improved).

If gcc43 cannot coexist with gcc42, fine (although 99% of all files are
in versioned directories already). One just has to keep in mind that
there are a couple of packages that need to be updated with new
incompatible revisions of gcc4X. We have this situation with other
compilers, too, ocaml for example, where every new revision requires
that a couple of other packages need to be updated and rebuilt.

I'll update melina correspondingly (after checking that it works, which
will take some time).

The maintainer of pgplot and r-base has given up, unfortunately, so that
I don't know who will do the necessary for these.