Hi Linus

thanks for reporting back.
on what platform are you (x86-32/64/powerpc(64))?

I've compiled xine-ui yesterday with only a minimal patch
(http://marc.info/?l=xine-devel&m=120610913015518&w=2)

for quick (successful) tests using xine you can use several minimal
xine players.
e.g. see http://xinehq.de/index.php/samplecode for x11-based
videoutput plugins
or my adaption for other outputs like xcb and cocoa at
http://libxine-java.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libxine-java/example/

for muxine-cocoa.m you do need the --enable-macosx-video.. :)

The problem with most xine based players, is that they are based on
the x11 output plugins.
however, on my machines, the xv overlay does not work on mac, so the
scaling has to be done in software which is very cpu intensive. on my
MacBookPro 2 Ghz, I could not watch a .mp4 file in fullscreen without
stuttering video. I don't know if the SDL plugin works with hardware
support, though.
the muxine-cocoa works fine although it hoes no UI to speak of.
I normally use mplayer from the console on mac to watch movies btw.

I can try to compile gxine and/or xfmedia, but I'm afraid, it will
also use the (on mac slow) x11 output.

cheers
matthias