Hi list,
coming from an upgrade from tiger 10.4.7, I followed the fink
leopard's how-to  and I realized that mc was not working
properly  (version 4.6.0), so after having tried various combinaison
and patches
I've found the following method

download vanilla libiconv 1.12 from gnu rep
1) ./configure --prefix=/sw ; make ; make install

strangly, this lib didn't want to install if the prefix was not /sw
(eg. /usr/local)

download vanilla mc 4.6.1 from
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/mc.html
apply  bash-3.12 patch
then
1) ./configure --prefix=/sw --without-x  --with-screen=ncurses --
prefix=/sw ; make ; make install

and so far, everything seems to work

what was not working

1) erratic behaviour when changing directory (eg. cannot change
directory ;  subshell display was corrupted )
2) recompilation using fink install mc (error in linking)
all of this will be fixed if libiconv 1.12 and bash patch are applied
and installed