Jean-François Mertens wrote:
[]
> I don't think so : it rather seems a problem of dpkg installing (on
> some systems)
> files with different perms than they have in the deb : compare your
> output
> of dpkg -c with your ls -l ..
>
> The pkg can only take care that the deb be correct, after it is
> dpkg's problem.
> I would be completely unreasonable to have huge postinstscripts
> correcting
> all mistakes dpkg might be doing.
>
> Martin: your output of dpkg -c  was correct too, I guess ?

It's more complicated than that: On the machine where I detected the 644
permission problem for /sw/lib/wx, I had wxgtk2.8-2.8.0-3 installed, not
the latest 2.8.7-7. In addition, I didn't build it there, but installed
it from another one. On that one, I have 2.8.7-7 installed, the
permissions are 755, and the debs show

costabel% dpkg -c /sw/fink/debs/wxgtk2.8_2.8.0-3_darwin-i386.deb | egrep
'/sw/lib/wx/$'
drw-r--r-- root/admin        0 2008-01-09 11:43 ./sw/lib/wx/
costabel% dpkg -c /sw/fink/debs/wxgtk2.8_2.8.7-7_darwin-i386.deb  |
egrep '/sw/lib/wx/$'
drwxr-xr-x root/admin        0 2008-03-27 02:15 ./sw/lib/wx/

So the permissions in the debs differ between wxgtk2.8 versions, but
they coincide with the installed ones.

But then I was able to produce the plplot build error only when
building-as-nobody, not with a regular fink build (which runs as root
and does not seem to worry about non-executable directories). So the
behavior I have been seeing is not exactly the same as the one Koen has
been reporting. No idea where the further differences could come from.