(oops, wrong e-mail ...)

> I believe that the following is true:
>
> Debian gets around a bunch of the problems that Fink has by only
> distributing binaries.  Thus you can use whatever build environment you
> need, and do crazy build things, and not have to worry about whether it
> will integrate with the rest of Fink.

Well in the case of texlive, there certainly seems to be plenty of stuff
in the debian/ subdirectory, but you _can_ build the packages yourself
if you want ... and the splitting looks reasonable, see there

  http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/texlive-base

(Not saying that this is a trivial thing to do, but the package
descriptions in debian and fink are not that different, from what I
understand.)

Anyway, I will have access to a debian (well ubuntu) system pretty soon,
I will have a look at the build process.

  /v

--
Vincent Beffara
UMPA - ENS-Lyon