Martin Costabel wrote:
> Pepe Barbe wrote:

>> Undefined symbols:
>>    "_png_write_destroy", referenced from:
>>        _save_image in png.o

[]
> The relevant difference between the libpng12.dylib in /sw/lib and the
> one in /usr/X11/lib is that the symbols in question, like
> png_write_destroy, are external in Fink's dylib, and private external in
> Apple's dylib.

Turns out I wrongly accused ld here. The missing symbols are private
external in Fink's libpng12.dylib in the pangocairo branch, too. Only
the 10.4 HEAD branch has been updated to libpng3-1.2.29 where those
symbols are exported. These symbols have been deprecated for a long
time. Whether they should be exported or not seems to be a question with
a long history, but it is unclear to me why they are exported in version
1.2.29, perhaps by accident.

Why do we bother with this antediluvian version of gimp, anyway?