Martin Costabel wrote:
> David van der Spoel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is an easy way to compile all packages in 64
>> bit mode? I noted that some packages are provided in two versions
>> already, but I would like to be able to install one package in 64 bit
>> mode, and automatically install all the dependencies in 64 bit mode as
>> well. Any tips?
>
> If the dependent packages exist in 64bit variants and the dependencies
> are correctly listed in the package descriptions, the automatic choice
> you want would indeed be possible. It is a big "If", though. There is no
> magic switch "build in 64bit mode". Every package that allows this
> choice will have to be treated individually; you basically have to
> create new packages.
>
> The rules for installing 64bit libraries exist in Fink, but this is a
> porting effort like every other, someone has to do it. Depending on the
> package, it might not be difficult, taking existing packages as models.
> Currently I see only 2 packages, gmp and libmpfr1, that have 64bit
> variants, but nobody is stopping you from creating 64bit variants for
> other packages and submitting them for inclusion in Fink.

Can't one just set some compiler flags -m64 for C, C++ and linking? Why
does one need to meddle with all the packages? Assuming most packages
are configured with autoconf, adding  --host=x86_64-apple-darwin
--build=x86_64-apple-darwin  to the configure line should probably suffice.

I understand that some packages might break when ported to 64 bit by
simply adding these flags, however, most packages probably compile and
work on linux x86_64 as well, so there won't be that many. In addition
Apple are promising a true 64 bit OS next year.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205. Fax: +4618511755.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://folding.bmc.uu.se