In my opinion it would be a good idea to tag .deb files in some way to indicate where they're from. I can think of a couple of reasons:

1. To help track down binaries (official or otherwise) that don't work properly on all hardware for a given architecture; e.g. gmp, which when built on a G5 doesn't work on a G4.

2. To tag packages as being from a binary distribution rather than locally built.

A simple way this could be done is to add one file to the .deb which would contain information like the hostname and hardware on which the package was built.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
akh AT finkproject DOT org