On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 06:55:13PM -0400, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Koen van der Drift wrote:
>
> > moving to fink-devel...
> >

> > On Sep 26, 2008, at 3:31 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
> >
> >> The user-friendly solution would be to have two packages, one for
> >> 10.4 that depends on -pm586, and one for 10.5 that depends on -
> >> pm588. In this way, users don't need to install Fink perl packages,
> >> the system perl will do.
> >
> > So, I made two packages, tcoffee-10.4 and tcoffee-10.5, it builds fine
> > on 10.5 (don't have 10.4). Should I also update the Package field in
> > the info file to tcoffee-10.x, the validator didn't complain about it?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > - Koen.
> >

> Nope.  Leave the name as tcoffee, and make sure that tcoffee-10.4 has
> will then do the right thing and pick the appropriate version for the
> OS.

OTOH, make sure the 10.5 one has a Revision "much higher" (maybe +100)
compared to the 10.4 one. The whole goal is for the user to have to
know nothing about this whole game and just get "the right thing for
the local machine". By having 10.5 rev higher than 10.4, as soon as a
10.4 user upgrades to 10.5, the 10.5 one will suddenly appear and be
"newer", thus prompting user to update to the "right" one on the new
OS. Put another way, your new trick is not allowed to break
long-standing rule that "any certain %n-%v-%r must be the same for
everyone everywhere everytime", not dependent on which OS was present
when it was compiled.

dan

--
Daniel Macks