Alexander Hansen wrote:
[]
>> sed: /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.la: No such file or directory
>
> <snip>
>
> You didn't specify your Xcode version.  It looks like you've got
> 3.1.2, from which the .la files were removed.  You'll either want to
> downgrade to 3.1.1 or install the Xquartz update from macosforge.org.
>
> Blame Apple.

Alex,

I have written a shell script that creates *.la files in /usr/X11/lib.
We could use the next users coming with this problem as guinea pigs for
testing it.

The script is in my exp dir at
<http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/fink/experimental/costabel/fix-x11-la.sh>

It can be used to populate /usr/X11/lib with *.la files for xcode-3.1.2
users, but it can also be used to fix the problems with libXrandr,
libXdamage, libXrender etc, which appeared in certain versions of OSX
and xcode (like in FAQ#7.8).

The latter problems also come from *.la files that are incompatible with
the corresponding *.dylib files, and my script creates compatible *.la
files. If *.la files exist, they are conserved as *.la.bak. The script
has an "undo" option that restores the original *.la files from the
*.la.bak files.

To execute the script: If it is executable,

   sudo ./fix-x11-la.sh create

and if the executable flag is not set,

   sudo sh ./fix-x11-la.sh create

The "sudo" is necessary, because the script creates files in
/usr/X11/lib/. I did a couple of tests, but some more tests in various
real-life situations would be welcome.

I am cross-posting to fink-devel in order to get additional opinions on
this.