David R. Morrison wrote:
[]
> Most likely, in the older version the filename of the library was
> libGLw.1.0.dylib but the install_name was libGLw.1.dylib (with a
> symlink put in place to relate the two).  Now in the simpler version,
> that intermediate step is skipped and both the filename and
> install_name are libGLw.1.dylib.  So there is no problem.

Dave, not that it matters, but I think you got it backwards: In the old
version, there was only one libGLw.1.dylib, with filename and
install_name coinciding. In the new version, they use the more
complicated system, namely an implementation file libGLw.1.0.dylib with
a symlink at the install_name.

Incidentally, the package mesa-shlibs (from graphics/mesa.info) has had
this system already for quite some time, because the maintainer
introduced a patch file for their ersatz libtool "mklib", doing the
following

-        LINKNAME="lib${LIBNAME}.${LIBSUFFIX}"
-        LIBNAME="lib${LIBNAME}.${MAJOR}.${LIBSUFFIX}"
+        LINKNAME="lib${LIBNAME}.${MAJOR}.${LIBSUFFIX}"
+        LINKNAME2="lib${LIBNAME}.${LIBSUFFIX}"
+        LIBNAME="lib${LIBNAME}.${MAJOR}.${MINOR}.${LIBSUFFIX}"

plus the corresponding symlink game.

He was led to doing this by akh and jfm, see the tracker
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=1611970&group_id=17203&atid=414256>
Apparently, upstream is doing the same thing now, too.

Anyway, I agree that there is no problem.