James Bunton wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 01:43:53PM -0500, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> 3)  We could potentially try doing the dreaded third-party "system"
>> scheme again, cf.
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1795115&group_id=17203&atid=414256
>> but that of course has its own problems.
>>

> If nobody has the time to package texlive then this is probably the best
> thing to do. If I understand correctly, the problem with system-latex
> was that files moved around between releases. If dealing with this
> within one package is too difficult, perhaps we could have a different
> package for texlive2007, texlive2008, etc. Each of these could have
> Provides: system-latex.

If I recall the historical situation, the main issue was with Wierda's
TeX, distribution, which had a handy-dandy updater for the user (which
was good for them); and the updates were frequent enough and without
markers to distinguish them to break system-tetex every few months or so.

This may not be the case now.
>> A)  Move the current/unstable doxygen to stable, since the tetex*
>> dependency in that has now been foisted off on a separate documentation
>> package, and therefore people won't wind up having tetex installed just
>> because a package wants to build some _other_ form of documentation.
>>
> Agreed. This would be great.

I'll probably do that this weekend unless somebody objects.
>> B)  Remove such a dependency from any package that can be configured by
>> the user to pick a TeX engine.  This is already the case for texshop,
>> and our current LyX, for example.
>>
> Also a good idea.
>
> ---
>
> James

I'll see about a tetex audit for the unstable tree (to begin with,
anyway).  I'm not going to change any maintained packages myself, but
I'll at least send messages to the maintainers about removing the
dependency if a package can be runtime configured for a different TeX,
or to suggest building TeX-generated documentation separately if that's
the hurdle.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink User Liaison