On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:45:28PM -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> Jack Howarth wrote:
> >
> > Scanning package description files....WARNING: Unresolved CVS conflicts in
> > "/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/ccp4.info".
> > WARNING: Repeated occurrence of field "depends" at line 61 of
> > "/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/ccp4.info".
> > WARNING: Repeated occurrence of field "builddepends" at line 62 of
> > "/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/ccp4.info".
> > WARNING: Repeated occurrence of field "buildconflicts" at line 63 of
> > "/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/ccp4.info".
> >
> > It should clearly state these are unresolved merges in the info
> > file and request the user to solve them or delete the file and
> > pull it down again.
>
> That said, it's probably better to make this an ERROR instead of a
> WARNING and dump right out, so people don't think this is something they
> can ignore, or lose in the middle of the output somewhere.

Aborting during indexing, especially the automatic indexing that
happens after a selfupdate, is a Bad Idea because the automatic update
of the Essential packages won't happen. We could make the warning
louder and less buried. I *think* these files are not indexed (assumed
to be in a broken state). And if there's a CVS conflict, we already
know the file is in a broken state, so why bother even looking further
and noticing the dup fields? We might be able to set a Finally message
about it, but in the grand scheme of things, this is both a rare
problem and not a serious one: if you're doing this kind of editing,
you already (should at least!) know you're at risk for CVS
conflicts. And so what? So there's a file that needs to be fixed
before its contents can be used...that has zero effect beyond whatever
packages you're hacking in that one file.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org