One issue is that the Conflicts/Replaces of module-build-pmXXX-bin
haven't been updated in a while. If the goal is to put some
non-perlversioned generic script or data in that package for which
user can install "any one choice" rather than the "orthogonal
variants" module itself, need to C/R all variants. Missing 588 and
5100.

But now also fink's perlXXX itself also has that file? I guess perl
has a module-build in core now? Maybe the script should be renamed in
all cases...something like config_data-X.X.X, which would allow us to
nuke the -bin splitoffs similarly to how we've done in other pkgs. If
config_data has any pathname or versioning information, it's clearly
specific to the XXX, so this forces one to decide which XXX one is
really talking about. For compatibility (such as it is), could use
update-alternatives to install "any once choice" as the simple name. A
perlXXX-core that has this script could also rename it
config_data-X.X.Xcore and join in the update-alternatives pool.

dan

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:14:40AM -0400, Koen van der Drift wrote:
> (including fink-devel)
>
> I did some more digging, and the bin splitoff was created a few years
> ago by a previous maintainer:
>
> <http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fink/dists/10.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/libs/perlmods/module-build-pm.info?revision=1.13&view=log
>
>  >

> The commit log says: "Make a splitoff for the %i/bin/config_data
> script so that multiple copies of this module may be installed for
> different Perl versions."
>
> Please advice where to put the config_data file, so I can fix the
> package.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Koen.
>

> On Jun 20, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Koen van der Drift wrote:
>
> > Hi Jean-Fran?ois,
> >
> > Thanks for the note. I never added the 5100 variant, and have no
> > means to test it since I run perl 5.8.8.  And I never seen this
> > issue with previous versions.
> >
> > Ok, I see it also happens in perl 588 :) Any suggestions where that
> > file could go safely?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Koen.
> >

> > On Jun 20, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Jean-Fran?ois Mertens wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Koen !

> >> Best,
> >>
> >> JF
> >>
> >> PS: And "config_data" should be forbidden as a name for something
> >> in bin !
> >> Any pkg may want to write such a file.
> >> (In "ancient times", such files at least had a name "pkgname-
> >> config" !)
> >>
> >> Cc'ing drm since perl5100 is as well concerned ..

Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org
http://www.netspace.org/~dmacks