On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:00:51PM -0500, Chupacerveza wrote:
> hmmm, when building in maintainer mode:
>
> ... has a preferred Depends on python25-socket, but python25-socket is
> an obsolete package.
>
> Now, another user has asked that I upgrade this to use 2.6, but I
> wanted to get the quick maintainer change in first and then come back
> and make those changes.
>
> I'm soliciting suggestions for what to do about this.

You can ignore it. If a package is obsolete, it still does exist (this
isn't a "no such package" type of error), and if the maintainer of it
did things correctly, it still will supply whatever functionality it
did previously. It's a notice that there is a better or more modern
way, not that the existing way is functionally broken (unless
maintainer of python25-socket himself is functionally broken:).

Let us know if you want more info about obsolete-package replacement
once you get going on this pkg.

dan

--
Daniel Macks